If you know, you know.

I wasn't going to go home because I lifted.
~ Nolan Seigel (age 19), attempting to qualify for one of the last three spots at the 2024 Indianapolis 500 on his maiden try.

Siegel was the first to make a run with a 229.566mph four-lap average but dropped a spot after team-mate Katherine Legge managed 230.092mph. After Marcus Ericsson, the 2022 Indy 500 winner, jumped to 32nd with a four-lap pace of 230.027mph, it bumped Siegel out of the field – and Rahal to 33rd – with only a couple of minutes remaining. 

“I wasn’t going to go home because I lifted" 

Primed as the last to go out, leaving Rahal without a chance to defend, Siegel ran an opening lap of 229.288mph. Pushing for every ounce of speed, he fully committed into Turn 1 on his second lap and glanced the wall on the exit of the corner, sending him into a spin before hitting the Turn 2 barriers. “I was going to go home because I went flat and did everything I could do,” Siegel said. “I wasn’t going to go home because I lifted.” 

The valiant effort portrayed encapsulated everything desired in a racing driver. And it was noticed by many of Siegel’s peers, including Rahal.