Words for a drummer to live by...

I recently attended a clinic at the local drum store (Explorer's Percussion in Kansas City, MO) by rock drumming great Kenny Aronoff. Kenny was the drummer during John Mellencamp's popular years, and is an in-demand studio drummer.

At the clinic, Kenny spoke of four concepts to drumming that I now try to incorporate into my drumming:
  • Beat
  • Time
  • Groove
  • Creativity

Beat - the basic pulse (heartbeat) of the song. The drummer is responsible for establishing and maintain that heartbeat, in essence keeping the song alive!

Time - Keeping the pulse steady and in harmony with the other musicians.

Groove - Provides a setting or a framework around which to weave the song and create the stylistinc mood. Funk, rock, reggae, country...all styles stem from the groove that the drummer lays down.

Creativity - only after the first three have been firmly established should you begin to explore the creative aspects of the instrument, such as fills.

Parting note...
Here is my favorite drumming anecdote:

Son: "When I grow up, I want to be a drummer!"
Dad: "Son, you'll have to choose, because you can't do both!"