Reducing the bookshelf clutter...


Questions to ask yourself when you finish reading a book:

  1. Is this a reference book (dictionary, thesaurus, parenting guide, etc.) that I will refer to often? Will it contain accurate content for at least a year? Is the reference book better and more useful to me in printed form than a digital version that I can access from my computer?
  2. Is this one of my favorite books? Will I honestly re-read it again at several times in the next few years?
  3. Is this book signed by the author and/or dedicated to me? Am I acknowledged by name in the author’s acknowledgment section?
  4. Is this a children’s book for my child that she will ask me to re-read to her again tomorrow night? Has my child decided that this book is more important than vegetables?
  5. If I keep this book, are there two books (or more) that I can get rid of when I put this on the shelf?

If you answered “yes” to the relevant questions above, keep the book. Otherwise, get rid of it by either passing it along to a friend or family member, selling it to a used book store, or donating it to a charity or a local school or public library.

From unclutterer.com